Monday, May 14, 2007

My Firsts - The Teenage Years

We left Kota Bharu, Kelantan in December 1979, at the end of my primary school years. My eldest brother was 14, second brother 13, and my sister, 7. We lived in Klang while dad commuted daily to his office at Bukit Aman, K.L. Mum remained a full-time mother and housewife.


Coming out to the west coast was exciting for me. Although I was missing my friends back in Kota Bharu, I was delighted with the prospect of making new friends. My brothers began their education in La Salle School, Klang while my sister and I were placed in Convent School, Klang. With this new environment, we found our new life.

The first time I received a gift from a guy - I was 13 years old. The guy was my brother's classmate and best friend, Adrian. He bought me a bow-shaped brooch and passed it to me through my brother, Derek. I was excited and surprised that Adrian remembered my birthday. I was supposed to thank Adrian for the gift but I was too shy. When Derek got him on the phone that evening, I was forced to speak to Adrian. Nervous and tongue-tied, I managed to say "Thanks for my lovely brooch." He replied "Oh, it's my pleasure. I'm glad you like it. How was your day?" I thought, "Oh my God, he wants to talk some more." I quickly ended the conversation by saying, "Oh, it was fun. Here's Derek. Thanks for the gift again. Bye." I promptly handed the phone back to brother dearest. By the way, that was also the first time I spoke to a guy on the phone.

The first time I sewed something - I was in Home Science class and had two projects to complete. One was an apron and the other a baby's dress. I still have the apron but my teacher, aptly known as Tiger Lim, took my baby dress for an exhibition and never returned it to me.

The first time I cooked something edible - I was eager to try out a recipe from Home Science class. With my aunty's help, I successfully made onde onde. That was the last time too. It was easier to buy it at the makcik's stall down the street from my house.

The first time I had a teen party at home - My parents decided to celebrate my 14th and Derek's 15th birthday together. My brother invited some of his friends from school, as I did mine. It was rather awkward for me. That was the first time we hosted a party where guys and girls could mingle together. I don't remember dancing at that party. However, I do recall two guys who were trying to get a pretty girl's attention. All three of them were in Form 4. Within a month, I heard she chose one and started dating him. They are married today with 3 children.

The first time I played the piano - I started piano lessons at 14 but did not have a piano until two months after my first lesson. While my sister and I waited for dad to buy us a piano, we kept practising on an 'invisible keyboard'. I remember being very excited when the piano finally arrived. I could finally play on real keys!

The first time I sat for music exams
-
It was a year later. I had finished four theory grades within 12 months. My teacher was toying with the idea of sending me for the Grade 5 level. She said that she would only do it if I am willing to cramp in a little more work in the next two months. I was game for it and registered myself for the Grade 5 Level. I passed, much to everyone's delight and shock. Oh! Thanks a lot! After that exam was over, the teacher said, "if only I could push you beyond Grade 1 for your practical." I smiled back giving her the "yeah, right!" look. She knew I was a lost cause in that department. I took my practical exams, one grade at a time, annually.

The first time I had a crush on a sportsman - He was a German hockey player, Carsten Fischer, taking part in the Junior World Cup Hockey tournament in Malaysia in 1982. Two of my classmates were equally smitten by other hockey players in the same team and we talked about our sportsmen every day until we grew tired of them.

The first time I danced with a teenage guy - It was during a Christmas Dinner & Dance at our church. I was in at my table talking to a friend when my brother's classmate (I have forgotten his name) asked me for a dance. Then song - Three Times a Lady by Lionel Richie. I was so nervous, I kept stepping on his feet! Every now and then I kept saying, "oops, sorry". I remember how awkwardly I was holding him. I was glad when the song was over. phew!

The first time I lost my identity - No, I did not lose my identity card. I lost my identity as 'Jacqui'. My brother, Derek, was gaining popularity among the senior prefects in my school. This was possible because they met Derek at a function hosted by the La Salle Prefectorial Board. One day, as I walked past a group of giggly prefects, one of them asked me, "Are you Derek's sister?" I confirmed their enquiry. Then, two of them said in unison, "Oh, your brother is so cute!" sigh..
I smiled and said, "If you say so." They never bothered to find out my name. I was known, among the prefects, as 'Derek's sister'.

The first time a guy took interest in me - I was in Form 5. The year was 1984. I took part in a fashion show organised by the church for a fund-raising function. I disliked it but was forced to participate. I felt awkward and stiff. I had to borrow a dress from my, then, best friend because I did not own something fashionable enough. It was a strappy and tight little number in leopard print Oh my God! - so not me at all!. I had to prance about stage to the song of 'Uptown Girl' by Billy Joel. I was glad when that was over. I made my way to the back of the hall. A nice-looking guy approached me. He was Daniel. We have smiled at each other many times before but we were never introduced. He complimented me on my outfit. hmmm After that introduction and a short conversation, phone numbers were exchanged. He called me at very safe times - when dad was not at home. Mum knew but kept warning me not to be on the phone too long. Daniel and I never went out anywhere together, no matter how many times he tried to convince me to 'steal away'. My parents would never have allowed it and I did nowt want to risk being caught. I told him that once I start working in January, there will be a chance to meet. I kept hoping that he would wait.


The first time my heart was broken - Daniel started dating my, then, best friend. She told me about their first date... in detail. That was January 1985. sigh..

The first time I entered the working world - It was a part time job in a legal firm while I waited for my SPM results. My pay was only RM250 a month. That wasn't too bad for an 18-year old with no work experience. I worked near The Star (newspaper) office. The bus station was around the corner. Every now and then I had to endure wolf whistles from workers down the street where construction work was going on. It bothered me a little in the beginning but I learned to ignore them over time. I figured they would get tired of seeing the same old me after a while. I did not see a point in telling my parents about it. They were informed, nevertheless. Apparently a Star reporter (whom my father knew personally) was too enthusiastic about his job. He decided to give my dad updates. I guess he was genuinely concerned.

The first time I drove a car - I was 19 and started driving lessons. I was so afraid to take the car out to the Klang-Port Klang road. When it was time to learn to drive on the main road, I told the instructor that I was afraid and preferred the back streets. He said, "Where can? sooner or later you have to start taking the main road. Your whole life you going to take back roads ah? How want to go K.L. then?" I said, "Take bus la."
I did pass my driving test that year. Eventually, I picked up the courage to drive to K.L. - four years later, during Chinese New Year week.

I landed my first full time job at 21 years old. I started working in K.L. and remained there until 1999, when I got married and left the country.

There were many firsts in my 20s, which I will reveal as time goes by. However, the precious ones like my first kiss, first love relationship, first rebound relationship (and thankfully only one) will remain with me. When I miss home or feel down, I recall some of the sweet times I've experienced as a young adult. Some moments which made me feel special and some which thought me valuable lessons. These are the memories which makes me smile in my quiet reminiscence. These belong to me.

44 comments:

Theodwyn said...

Awwwww.... and here I was waiting eagerly for you to talk of your first relationships too ;) (just kidding)

Thanks for sharing your firsts with us J.T. Great reading!! =)

J.T. said...

Awww Theodwyn... sorry to disappoint you. For now, I rather keep that memory to myself. :)
There are other 'firsts' in my 20s that I can share. Just need to recall them.
Thanks for the compliment, dear. Appreciate it very much.

k.d said...

Hehehe...I did Home economics too...so that was where I learn how to sew and cook. I chose home econ coz they said it was easy to score for the SRP! Didn't take that for polishing the skill at all!

Anyway, I still remember my exam question for the cooking session. It was "You are to cook a menu for someone who is sick and at the same time change the bedshit with the sick person on the bed"

Hehehe...I made steamed fish with nasi. I don't remember what else. And I remembered how I changed the bedsheet..felt like a nurse that day...And I presented the dish in a tray accompanied with a rose in a vase. And I finished on schedule you...hihihi

I also can relate with you about the driving. Until now I wouldn't dare to drive in KL...I guess coz I'm not familiar with the roads. But here in Dublin, someone said that I drove like a F1 driver or like a KLian...Dunno what they're talking about.

Anyway...some memories are to share and some are personal... until ready to be shared...

Lee said...

Hi JT, wow! I enjoyed reading this post of yours. I could relate to it too re KB, Klang, Form 5 etc.
To think when I was doing my business travels to KB 1979 (sometimes mixing business with romance) you were still in your primary school years. Ha ha.
Its fun to recollect our memories of yesteryears. And what you mentioned re parties, girlfriends, boyfriends, I guess we all have gone thru that stage.
And to think those days moving from KB to Klang was something really big...but today everyone has someone around the world.
Good post, JT.
Best regards, UL.

J.T. said...

K.D., When I was in Form 1, they put me in a class where I had to do both Commerce and Home Science (I don't know why my school did not identify it as Home Economics). Then they streamlined me in Form 2. Since I did better in Commerce than Home Science, I ended up in the Commerce class for the next two years.
I think ah... anything to do with science I shied away. After SRP results, I got a placing in Science stream but I requested to be transferred to Arts class so that I could do Commerce and Accounts. hmmm... Put that together with me being in the school band and a librarian spells something huh? N-E-R-D. hahaha
I used to be able to drive in KL. I don't think I have the guts to do it anymore. The motorbikes scare me. They come out of nowhere.

J.T. said...

Hello Uncle Lee... Thank you. I am happy that you enjoyed this post. :)
Just to think you were frequenting KB when I was staying there. wow... I was just as 12-year-old
Did you ever get to enjoy the facilities at the Royal Kelantan Club? If you mingled there, that means you would have met my dad's 'kaki'.
Yeah, moving from east coast to west coast was a huge deal. Today, moving across continents is a norm.
Talking about parties... those are really good memories. Because this entry is about 'firsts', I did not and could not elaborate. Usually ah.. after we get over the first 'whatever', the following experience will be better. Learn more each time. hehe No need to give details la.
At my 21st birthday party, no one wanted to dance because the light from outside was shining in. Dad noticed it and asked how come the youngster wasting good music. One of my friends said, "Uncle, too bright la." He got up from his chair (in the garden), headed to the living room and drew the curtain closed so that guests in the garden could not watch us dancing inside. Another friend said, "wah! so sporting your fudder." As you can imagine, the dance floor was never empty after that. Fast dance, slow dance.. all got. Good times. :)

Apandi said...

Ahhhh, memories. Good reading and made me reflect on mine. I did agriculture, planting things and stuff and when the time came for harvesting (also getting marks for our work) we stole from the next plot because their veggies are bigger and look better...muah hah hah hah

I like the one about losing identity the most. For that matter, did we ever get our identity or are we just markers for those around us ? Aiyooo, so deep one, never mindlah...

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jac,

Ah, I love a walk down the memory lane. I cant wait for your adulthood/womanhood segment.

When when when when is it coming out?

Kak Teh said...

jt. my internet was down for four days and I have been missing a lot! I am so tempted to write abt all these firsts but my hands are tied right up to the end of this week! sigh! enjoyed reading yours though - mine will sound so so so last century!

Anonymous said...

JT...great post...such memories stay attached to you definitely...especially about thefirst time your heart was broken, ain't it?

I'm still contemplating...

J.T. said...

Apandi, 'borrowing' vegetables .. not stealing. hehe
Do we have our own identity or are we just markers for others? Deep la. Luckily I had my morning coffee. Now I can think a little. I guess we are both - depending on the circumstances and who are we in other people's eyes.
Those who choose to know us, will know us for who we are. Then, there are others who will associate us with someone else because their focus is on that someone else, not us. Thus, we become a marker for another individual. Does that make sense at all? :)

J.T. said...

Darling Elviza, I still haven't decided if I want to get into the adulthood/womanhood segment. There are some memories better left on its own. Do not want to open Pandora's box. hehe

J.T. said...

Kak Teh, you should write about your 'firsts'. I would love to know. If you are busy, I can wait. :)

zorro said...

Jacq, your fan club is growing prodigiously. I am waiting (as usual with bated breath) for the next edition of Your First......Met up with Tony G last night and he says he was going to chat with you when he gets home.....I doubt that happened, the condition he was in when we said ciao.Take care luv.

J.T. said...

Raden dearie, some memories just remain embedded for life. Wounds heal but scars remain. Happy memories are like the lotions and creams for the scars. :)

J.T. said...

Hello Zorro, I appreciate all the visits and comments I have received since I started blogging. Gives me fuel to continue. I believe I have gained more from blogging - met some lovely and charming people out there. :)
I am still contemplating about the next edition of 'My Firsts'.
Oh! I did not get to chat with Tony G last night. Then again, when I first met him, I thought he was in no condition to chat at all. hahaha (Tony is going to get me for this. Maybe I can appease him with a beer and a dance. 'Stand by Your Man', Tony?)

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

JT :o)
~ I love your entries. They take me back to my own memories.
~ Beautiful entries!
~ Thank you :o)

J.T. said...

Hi Syana, thank you dear. Maybe you should write your "Firsts". Raden did. I hope Kak Teh is considering. I will be honoured if you could share some of yours.
It does bring back some good memories, huh? :)

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

JT :o)
~ Maybe I will :o) TQ

rad said...

j.t.
You've good/strong memory to remember all that..and more to come I hope?
All that I remember from my teenage years - no party, no piano, not even bicycle..- there was only kenduris, secret admirer(s) (in boarding school) and mostly the fact that I was confused - didn't belong to any particular groups at that time. Was nominated to be a prefect but wasn't elected (I was crushed!), kaki bangku, etc.
Must be interesting to be able to go back to yester years & regain my confidence & stand up for myself.
Can that be considered as losing identity too? Heheheh..

J.T. said...

Hi Rad, nice to see you here again. I hope to jot down more memories but maybe not in the "First" context. A lot of them were repeated events. Sometimes, one needs to learn over and over again! haha
You know, I thought of the same thing - going back to the yesteryears with renewed confidence. The confidence of "If I only knew then what I know now". But that will involve changing my past. I am who I am today because of what I experienced in the past. So yeah, you could say if we did that, there will be a lost of our current identity. :)

silversarina said...

hi j.t. ,

You sure have lots of 'first' in memory....thanks for sharing.

I could imagine how cute you were dancing and 'stepping' on his foot with 'three times a lady' as background song ... :)

J.T. said...

Hello LUJ, welcome back.
Cute? oh dear.. nervous wreck, more like it. That first time dancing slow dance - not pleasant! hehe We were holding each other the old fashioned way (you know like when doing those ballroom dances). I was too shy to hold a guy that way... and it did not help that he was tall. :) Hence, the 'stepping'. haha

Daphne Ling said...

*Wink*...How's Adrian? Kekekekeke...

Aiya...Why you don't make onde-onde anymore? Lidat I don't get to eat already lar...Chia-lart...Have to go buy!

Can make for me when you come back? Please...;)
I'll be a good girl...I'll try...

Hehehe...Thanks for sharing though!

J.T. said...

Hey Daphne, Adrian is fine, thank you. He is married with four sons. :P On my recent trip back to Malaysia, I met him and his family. Seen a lot of him and his wife over the years (brother's best friend la).
For me, too much trouble to make 'onde onde' - easier to buy. Wait la.. when I come back I make for you "Death by Chocolate" cake. ;) Yeah right! I have not baked in years.
Thanks for dropping by. Appreciate it.

nyonyapenang said...

reading your memories sure put a smile on my lips and my mind pun wander sikit-sikit lar.

J.T. said...

Hello Nyonya Penang,
I do believe some others were doing the same. Even as I wrote those memories, I could not help smiling. Sure got one... the mind will wander. The thing is, once we get started with memories, 'sikit-sikit' becomes 'bukit'. After that, cannot wipe off the grin. ;)

david santos said...

Please, it puts fhoto of Madeleine in your Bloggue

Missing Madeleine!
Madeleine, MeCann was abduted from Praia da Luz, Portugal on 03/03/07.

If you have any information, please contact Crimestoppers on
0800 555 111

Please Help

Mat Salo said...

Oh J.T.,

Wonderful, wonderful stuff! Didn't know what I've been missing. But better late than never, kan? Just love your blog to bits - the look, the tone, and most of all, the stories. So very well written! Struck all kinds of chords in each and everyone of us.. Your stories are the kind that I wished I could write but would never do them justice. I'm SO insensitive -lah ):

And J.T., appreciate the wishes for my baby's 1st B'Day yesterday!

Yes, J.T. some memories need only belong you..

Apandi said...

My my can be funny and deep at the same time. And its all true no less. Wounds heal but scars remain... I like that. The wound will cause a sharp pain but the scars give you a lingering and throbbing unpleasant sensation that is yet to go away.

Yeah, borrowed the long bean from the next plot... your theory is right. Sikit-sikit its all coming back to me nowwww (ala Celine Dion...).

Lee said...

Hi JT, regret never set foot at the Royal Kelantan club...more like Pantai Cinta Berahi, ha ha.
You sure had understanding dad! My dad too was quite a guy, and would shake his head at the different girls I brought home for parties or just to listen to those 45 or lp's of those days.
Eurasian girls, Malay girls, Chinese girls, American girls...ahh, to be 19 again!! Arhaaa ha ha. Or 27!
Yes JT, nothing like memories. You have a great day. UL.

Pi Bani said...

JT, re losing identity, back during my school days, when I was a junior lah, I was always known as my sister's little sister.(I'm the youngest in my family.) Then by the time I became a senior and my cousin came in as a junior, it was my cousin's turn to become "K.Pi's cousin".

J.T. said...

Hello Mat Salo, welcome to world. You flatter me... but please, keep going. :D
You are right ... better late than never. I am glad you dropped by. I have visited your blog a few times - silent reader la.
Hope your little Alesha Michelle had a great day.
Do visit again and thanks for the compliments. Appreciate it a lot.

J.T. said...

Hello Apandi, wah... you also got deep thoughts. Nice - "The wound will cause a sharp pain but the scars give you a lingering and throbbing unpleasant sensation that is yet to go away." :)
"It's All Coming Back To Me Now" - love that song by Celine Dion. The lyrics speak a lot of hurt. Somehow it has some connection to what you just said about 'the scars'. Thanks for a reflective morning.

J.T. said...

Hello U.Lee,
My dad was understanding yet strict. Does that make sense? When it came to our social life, he was more relaxed if he knew what was going on. Of course, while we were still in school, dating was a taboo.
Dad was the one that introduced me to 'drinking'! hehe
I remember we were at a wedding. I had a glass of 7-Up in my hand. When he saw what I was having, he said, "I think it is about time you learned to 'drink' a little at parties." I was 19 when I had my first liquor drink .... supervised by dad. :)
That is one of my 'cool' memories of him.
You have a great day too, U.Lee

Makcik Runner said...

i like to read all yr firsts stories. they say first love is hard to forget. they were right especially when it ended up broken. this post had actually inspired me to write my first love experience (smile!)

J.T. said...

Hello Pi,
Now that you've shared your case of 'lost' identity, it reminds me of the same thing that happened to my little sister. It was not for long, though. Once the 'jantans' got to know her through me, I became "Vanessa's sister." hehe

J.T. said...

Oh K.C., I can't wait to read your story. Going to your blog in a minute.
First love... hard to forget. I think mine was more 'puppy love'. Nevertheless, very sad when he broke my heart.
His cousin told me recently (about 2 months ago), that he now lives in Dublin.
Glad to know that this post inspired you to write your story. Truly honoured. :)

Mat Salo said...

Oooh, you've dropped by, thanks, JT. He.. not flattering you lah. Now gotta hop over to RG's OBB for her latest! Looks like the two of you really rub-off on each other!

Called home yesterday, Alesha had slept early, exhausted. Apparently she burnt her little pinky trying to blow the candle on the cake, she's only one for God's sake.. I'm holding my two boys (13 and 6) responsible, because I imagine 'em putting their little sister up to it!

Good Day, JT.. Again, thanks for the wishes!

J.T. said...

Hi Mat Salo
Oh! the joys of having older brothers.
I was glad when Raden wrote her memories. Honoured, to say the least. Now, KC has her memory of first love jotted down.
You have a good day too. :)

Idham said...

hai j.t...
lots of first...and lots of nice recollections..
i want to be ur first too...hehehe how?
ok, i was the first to challenge u to write a blog entry within 30 minutes! so, 20 years from now, when u do a re-edit, pls include me in ur story...

first heart break? huhuhuhu - the scar remains, but the wound healed. that is good enough la kan...

onde-onde? nakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!

psst: waiting for ur life's lessons entry next.

idham

J.T. said...

Hello Idham, You were my first...
blog challenge, that is. Correction.. I had one hour to write not 30 minutes. Like that matters... I still could not do it. I cannot write under pressure la. At least, next challenge (Lessons in Life), I had a few days to prepare.
Yes, 20 years from now, when I am rich and famous (angan-angan), I will remember you in my story of "Firsts".
First heartbreak - that wound healed already. :) Scar got la.
Eh.. you now asking me for 'onde onde'. Daphne asked earlier. . Waffor I make? Easier la to go out and buy.
See la, one day when I am in KL and if you are back in Malaysia, I belanja you 'onde onde' at KLCC Lower Ground floor. :)

zewt said...

first rebound relationship? do tell... :)

J.T. said...

Hi Zewt,
I will... someday. :) It took me a long time to get over that mentally abusive relationship. But it will be told one day. Patience ok? hehe