My Firsts - Childhood Years
There are many firsts in my life that I am not able to tell you - my first crawl, first tooth, first steps. Those memories belonged to my mum. Of course, I am unable to tell you when I first spoke too. However, you can be sure that once I started, I never stopped. My mum said I had too many questions or I told her too many tales. My earliest recollections are vague.
The first time I was aware I had a birthday party - A flash memory of someone walking into our house with this lovely cake decorated like a basket of flowers. Then, this person said to me "Hello birthday girl. Isn't this a pretty cake?" That is all I can remember. When I related this flashback to my mum a few years ago, she was surprised that my memory went back that far. She said that was the prettiest birthday cake I ever had as a child. It was my third birthday. We were living in Canning Gardens, Ipoh.
The first time I was aware I had siblings - I was almost four years old. A very brief flashback of this memory places me in a bathroom scene. My aunt was giving my two brothers and I a bath. We were splashing around and getting her clothes wet. We had just moved to Kelantan. I do not have memories of the journey from Ipoh to Kota Bharu. Neither, can I recall when we moved into our house in Jalan Bayam. I was told later that we were living in a hotel near Jalan Bayam in Kota Bharu, Kelantan. That was in the year 1970.
The first time I knew there was going to be an addition to the family - I was four and a half . I don't remember my mum being pregnant with my sister. I only recall the day she was leaving for the hospital. Dad was walking mum to the car. He told me "you will soon have a brother or a sister." I replied, "I don't want a brother or a sister. I want a puppy."
The first time I was aware I had grandparents - I was probably nearing five years old. My siblings and I addressed our grandparents as Papa and Mama. We had two sets of grandparents. To avoid confusion, we referred to them as Taiping Papa and Mama for my dad's parents; and Malacca Papa and Mama for my mum's parents.
The first time I appreciated a song from the radio - We were in Taiping visiting my dad's parents. I recall sitting by a huge radio and listening to the song "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" (click on the button on the sidebar to listen to the song). I was so captivated by the song that I refused to leave the house that instant to accompany my aunty to the sundry shop. I asked her if we could wait till the song finished. I was six then.
The first time I was aware of death - It was a few days after I fell in love with music. Our holiday came to an end. We were heading towards Malacca to spend the remainder of our holiday with my mum's parents. I clearly remember Taiping Papa giving out a strange vibe as I hugged him goodbye. Before walking off, I turned around to look at him again. I found Papa staring at me and he eyes were moist. I asked, "Why Papa?" He did not say anything. He kept staring. We took off waving at him. As soon as we reached my grandparent's house in Malacca, Mama came rushing out with a telegramme in her hands. Dad's father had passed away a few hours after we left Taiping. My brothers and I stayed back in Malacca. My parents went back to Taiping immediately bringing my 15-month old sister with them. That evening I asked Malacca Mama, "what is passed away?" She told me that "Taiping Papa won't be around anymore. He has gone to heaven."
The first time I remember going to school - I was 6 years old and in Mrs. Estrop's class at Fatima Convent, Jalan Kuala Krai, K.B. I recall taking part in two performances for the school concert. The first was singing in a choir. Later, I had to change to a red maxi dress for a dance number. There were four 'little couples' on stage. This leads to..
First time dancing with a boy - I don't remember the title of the song we danced to but the lyrics had some "aiyaya" and some "suku suku" in it. I googled those words and found this - aiyaya karoon main kya; suku suku ho gaya dil. Could this be the song? I found out that this song was from a Hindi movie titled Junglee, produced in 1962.
The first time I learned about the birds and the bees - I was 10 years old. I have no recollection of the teacher's name, though. She walked into class one day and told us that she will not be teaching History. Instead, she will be teaching us the facts of life. It was a very informative session, laced with lots of giggles.
The first time I felt like a failure - I was 11 years old. I had just received my mid-term exam results. My average percentage score was 90%. Yet, I was second last in a class of 48! I was disappointed with myself. Then, I envisioned the hell I was going to get from dad when I got home. When I showed him my report card, he looked at it for a while then smiled. He reached for his wallet and gave me RM1.00 (very big reward in those days). I was surprised and asked him "why?". He said "I told you that if you can bring back perfect scores, I will give you RM1 for every one of them. You had 100 for English." Shaking his head in amazement, he asked "Who was the first girl in class and what was her average percentage?" I told him it was Mazura and she scored 99.9%. Then he commented, "Thank goodness this is not a final term exam or you would have been demoted to 6B. However, if you were in 6B, you will be number one there." I believe Dad tried to console me, seeing that I looked very sad with my 47th position in class. Then he said, "No, forget I what I said. I'd rather you be number 47 in the A class for this term than number 1 in the B class next year."
The first time I had a crush on a man! - oh... my sweet Cikgu Anuar. He was a handsome man who inspired me to do so well during a school term in 1979. He was a 21-year-old trainee teacher from Maktab Perguruan K.B. He taught my class B.M. and History. Cikgu Anuar was fond of pop quizzes and I was always eager to answer his questions. Did I mention he was a good-looking man?
Zainab School had monthly exams and term exams. The school's monthly exam report card had a graph page to show the student's progress. It was interesting to see the graph showing a prominent improvement. woo hoo! My dad was pleased, if not surprised, at the sudden change. I did not tell him why; just that the new trainee teacher was good. Did I mention that Cikgu Anuar was cute? :) 
to be continued.....
53 comments:
to actually remember you had your first bday party at 3 is pretty amazing... i dont think i can remember all those 1st time you mentioned. being a typical guy... i will probably only remember the first time i had a crush and you know... that kinda thing... :)
This message is for the girl with deep dimples on both side of her cheeks. in school you were always chewing sweet, and during recess time you would sing that song ..chirpy chirpy cheep cheep...no wonder in exams u were second last in the back street...but never mind, because cikgu can see that u have grown to be so sweet, and now happily married.
your firsts so very memorables - even in this old age, cikgu can still gather a laughter.
best wishes, forever my gal in school.
from cikgu anuar.
---
di sampaikan oleh mr idham on behalf of cikgu anuar.
Hi Zewt, that is the weird part. I did not think I could go back that far until I told my mom of that one weird flash of the past (the one with the cake). Any events before my First Song are just brief flashes. The other memories became clearer as I grew older.
Of course, I know what you mean...things become interesting and more memorable when it involves a crush... and a little more. hehehe
JT
My goodness Idham, if I actually had a comment from the real Cikgu Anuar today, I would run and hide. Shy...
Still, I cannot deny the fact that he made a whole term of Standard Six fun for me. :)
JT
Hey, good blog. When was the first time you read a horror story :)
JT, the first time you had a crush on a man it was Cikgu Anuar. What about... the first time you crushed a man's heart... got or not? More interesting laa... ;)
whoaa! u can still have memories that young ar? u must have some kind of photographic memory. i had memories in kindergarten too, some fun some not so fun. my teacher was an english woman and that's about all i can remember not even her name..sigh!
i had a crush on my classmate in std 6, he was really good looking. i'd be lost for words when he says something to me after all he is the class monitor and also the head prefect in school. and i steal glances at him many times when he wasnt aware of it.
ahh...memories of old days are nice. later, i came to find out that he also had a crush on me but it was too late coz when we graduated to form 1, he had already been transferred to MRSM while i'm still at the neighbourhood secondary school.
Hi JT,
I'm that Cikgu Anuar reincarnate..hahaha. Only the smaller version. I remember my teachers from my school days not because they were good looking etcetc but b'cos they wacked me a lot. Ask zorro!
Good recollection JT. Waiting for part 2.
Hello Tunku, thanks for the compliment and for visiting my blog.
The first time I read a horror story book.. hmmm. I can't remember when, exactly. I was a big coward back then. Growing up with horror stories from my mum and watching bone-chilling movies scared me so much that I stayed away from the books. Movies such as "The Fall Of the House Of Usher", "Nightmare On Elm Street", "Exorcist", kept me in shivers for more than a decade.
I believe I was in my late 20s when I began watching horror movies again and then braved myself to pick up a book from the library. That wasn't too bad. I think I am braver now. haha
JT
Pi Bani, the first time I crushed a man's heart?
Never thought of that "first". Thanks for that idea. I will consider adding that piece of memory.
Yes, there was one (or two)... much, much later in life. I was actually surprised that I could break a heart (or two). hehe ;) Ya la.. interesting for you, shy for me. haha
JT
Hi K.C., the only reason why I can remember my kindergarten teacher is because she was my mum's friend. She stayed in touch with the family right up to the time of mum's demise in 2006.
I guess I could own up to having some kind of photographic memory. If only that came into good use during exams huh? :)
Awww... your first crush and you did not know (until much later) that he fancied you too. Memories of old.. aren't they nice? :)
JT
Tony (SUP), don't sell yourself "short". hahaha Sorry man, could not help that!
I was a tiny girl in Std 6 and Cikgu Anuar wasn't at a towering height. So, you could very well be a Cikgu Anuar reincarnate. :)
You must have a been a very mischievous one in school. I am not sure if you have changed that much. haha My memory of our first meet at the Eurasian Club is priceless. Mischievously charming!
Zorro, care to add more on 'Dato' Tony?
Hmmm...
To reveal your crush on Cikgu Anuar is a baaaaad idea, cos now I got power to ahem *cough cough cough* blackmail you...
Muahaha...I am the most evil person alive...Muahahahahahaha *cough...splatter*...
JT:o)
~ Another great entry!
~ My firsts? Lemme see ...
a. First time 'dapat upah' - I was around 5 or 6 yrs old and we were at my father's home in Pasir Mas. There was this old aunty who asked me to 'picit2' her tired legs. She said I was good at it and gave me 50sen. I remember jumping up & down, screaming ' yey yey dapat duit! yey yey dapat duit!' and gave my mother to keep it.
b. I remember my first crush (cinta monyet). I was in standard 4 and I had a crush on an older boy (Standard 6 or Form 1) who was my neighbour. Can't remember his name or face but I do remember that he was a Tengku from Johor royalty. In the evenings, I'd play outside just to catch a glimpse of him.
c. My first jewelry was a gold ring that my parents gave me for my 12th birthday. My name was engraved on it - SYA.
That's what I can remember for now. TQ, Jacqui :o)
Excellent mid afternoon relief reading this entry. The first time about death is really touching. Can't wait for part 2 too...
Excellent mid afternoon relief reading this entry. The first time about death is really touching. Can't wait for part 2 too...
Apandi - I wanted to 'reject' the second message. Then I thought, "never mind la. It is nice to know I relieved your mid-afternoon." :)
Working on part 2...
JT
Daphne, Cikgu Anuar's story is just tip of the iceberg. :) Now, I wonder if I want to tell anymore. ;)
Maybe I will hold back the ones that can really put me into trouble. hahaha
Syana, how cute. 50 cents and you get all excited. Then again, I was the same. My mum used to pay us to help in the kitchen. haha Of course, as we grew up, no more money. We were expected to lend a hand... and we did. My brothers were not spared. They had their fair share of kitchen work. Go mummy go! hahaha
Do you know where your first crush is living now? Just curious. I am not asking you to go look for him. hahaha
More to come.. :)
Aiyah...JT...the first time of everything...wonderful, wonderful...makes my mind wandering...to the first time of everything in my life...whohoho...
j.t.
No holding back please...share all! Stories like Cikgu Anuar..I can only recalled a cute male trainee teacher who gave me a Parker pen (priceless at that time) for getting good marks during upper primary school. And I can only go back as far as kindergarden year when I went to school one day only to find out it was closed and later on the way back I was chased by a flock of geese! What a trauma!
I'm thinking since Teachers' Day coming on this 16th May - shall I reminiscence & try to recall all the teachers who help make me who I'm today? I wish I have a good memory like you..
Regarding your big baby - heheheh..- I'm sure he loves the pamperings and such!
Jacq, a great book in the making....all your writings...all thanks to blogging. When it is time, I can point you to a publisher, if it is cheaper doing it here. Gee I do remember your Taiping grandpa..dark and huge.God rest his soul.
wahh.... you can remember that far back, ah?
I only have memories from when i was 7 i think. Maybe that's when my brain just popped in.
before that i was brainless- now, that would explain a lot of things!
Raden, care to share? I think a lot of minds are wandering now. hehehe
Rad
Cannot tell all... nanti 'rosak' reputation. hahaha... (got some 'uncles' here who know my relatives)
Seriously though, most of my firsts are normal. I wouldn't expect any less from others. Firsts crushes, first dance, first guy/gal. All in the past.
Wah.. Parker pen. That was a priceless pen back then. I remember how my siblings and I saved up to buy one for dad for his birthday.Even got it engraved! :)
You must have been a good student (or *ahem* teacher's favourite).
Being chased by a flock of geese! Traumatic alright. Oh my...
I few years back I was chased or rather being followed closely by crows. scary la..
Rad, if you can remember the teacher who gave you the pen, I am sure the others will come to mind soon enough. Teachers ... like it or not they are actually a huge part of any person's life. Hats off to teacher-bloggers!
back then, 50sen was a lot but i didn't spend it (i wonder why).
i really don't know the name of my first crush, whatmore where is he now ... but if i did, i would have googled him, just out of curiosity hehehe
Zorro, someday... it will be documented, if I am fortunate enough to do so. For now, I am gathering my thoughts.
Absolutely correct, thanks to blogging (and Tony), I have a tool for my ramblings.
Taiping grandpa was dark, huge and with penetrating eyes. That is my memory of him. I bet he was scary in class. :)
Oh Sue! no one is brainless.. except those who think bloggers should register. hahaha
Is it old story, oredy? Anyway, I won't be surprised if it comes up again. :) Malaysia Boleh!
I guess I have to admit I do have a photographic memory. Why didn't it come in handy in my exams later in life? hmmmm...
Hi JT,
I love your firts! Wonderful betul.
Goodness me, you are amazing that you can remember something as early as 3! I have silch memory even at 5..he he. I malas perhaps.
Love reading about your crush with cik gu Anuar. That is so cute. I had my own crushes too. Nice and motivating ain't it these good looking teachers. they really made us work extra hard for their lessons...I wanna whistle like U. Lee and Pi Bani...pheewwitttt!! Ha ha.
You know something I pun ingat it was cik gu Anuar what Idham did..he he.
Thnaks for linking me. I will do the same in a tad. Cheers.
Hello JT. Wow! So many "first's". There's one 'first' on my mind to enquire **wink wink**...but never mind, ha ha. Aha! I can see you raising one eyebrow. Hey! I was thinking about food, arhaaa ha ha.
Its good to bring back your memories JT....as we past the Equator where birthdays are concerned, its memories that keep us fresh and young.
For me..memories getting rusty, but fortunately I kept lots of notes in my diaries, those ada chillie padi and pepper of course in code, arhaaa ha ha.
Reading you were in Kelantan....I love Kelantan and its peoples, not to mention the women too, ha ha.
You know, the ones near the border are really very fair, I think ada some percentage of Thai genes?
JT, what is your dream car?
Keep smiling and have a nice day, UL.
Hello Ruby, nice of you to drop by.
Yeah, love those good looking teachers. Unfortunately (and hopefully my ex-teachers are not reading this), Cikgu Anuar was only one good looking male teacher that I had in my whole life. I cannot count my summer school Spanish lecturer in Texas. He looked more 'hamsap'. hehe Luckily it was a classroom and not one-on-one.
That Idham ah... real 'kodok' fella. Trying to pretend to be Cikgu Anuar.
Looking forward to reading your blogs. :) Waiting to see what U.Lee has got up his sleeves. Last I heard he was going to share someone with Idham. hahahaha (whoops! pecah tembelang)
U.Lee, clever la you. First you wink, wink and then say...food la. Make me raise eyebrow for nothing. haha
My 'chillie padi and pepper' memories are there in my mind. I did not write it anywhere else. I don't want to get mine coded because knowing me, I will forget my own codes.
I like Kelantan too, for its people, food and culture. I cannot complain about Klang, though. I had a lot of good times in that town. However, nothing's really interesting there except a good place to film a Stephen King movie - crows in abundance.
My dream car.. is something smooth, slick. One that I can run my fingers along its body and know every line is just perfect. hehehe
I have two dream cars - Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 5.5L Supercharged V8 and a Maserati Granturismo Coupe 4.2L V8. woo hoo!
oh yeah... crush, the first kiss... the first date... the first ... well you know... they are all well implanted in our memory bank... beyond our recycle bin... it's un-delete-able... haha!
Zewt, you are right. No matter how much you try, those firsts are not removable - embedded in the memory bank for life. :) such sweet memories.
Yes...you did mention that Cikgu Anuar was cute :P
I had a few crushes in the younger days. The first major one was with Tommy Page (u remember him?). I used to sign my name off as *Trueblue* Page. Now that I think back about it, I think "what the hell was I thinking???!!"
Hi TrueBlue.. haha Cikgu was cute back then. I wonder what he will look like now.
Re Tommy Page, I think I remember him. He was a popular singer in the late 80s, right?
Speaking of "what was I thinking?", I have the same opinion of Ralph Macchio (Karate Kid). Oh dear.. even had his poster up in my bedroom. What was I thinking??? :)
j.t,
Poster is nothinglah..Signing your name off with the artist's name sounds more pathetic, me thinks!
Awww.. Trueblue. Not pathetic at all. That's because I used to practice signing my name off with someone's name too. This guy was two years my junior. Yikes! Oh! he was so cute.
Heyyy JT,
That is so wonderful that you have sportingly agreed to take up 'The Layered Me' challenge! Do do. Looking forward to your inner secrets, the good the bad the ugly. I will ask U.Lee, if he would be brave enough to join us..he he.
Hi Ruby, not much inner secrets la. Where got? But I know it will be fun to do 'The Layered Me' challenge.
Look out for it. :)
Hi JT
Love the nostalgia. Remember KB in the 70s; live makyong, live Elvis Presley Malaysia Concert, Wak Sir etc, etc? You wrote about your teacher:
He was a handsome man who inspired me to do so well during a school term in 1979.
******
Allow me to share a story on Teacher's Day. My Form 4 and 5 Add Maths teacher at SIC, KB, Mr Chua (now Dr. Chua), also had the same kind of profound effect on me. In 1979, after our trial exam, he wrote on the black board the names of four top scorers in Add Maths, in descending order, and I am the only non-Chinese in the list and my name, believe it or not, is on top of the list. That little thing which Mr Chua did inspired me that I could compete with the best and brightest and emerged the winner. The solid foundation I’ve acquired in Add Maths under the tutelage of Mr Chua later helped me to excel in quantitative subjects at “A” level and undergraduate level.
A few years ago, I bumped into Mr Chua at an education expo in Malaysia and immediately after that chance meeting, I sent him a thank you email and mentioned the above story to him. Soon, I got another email from one of the other students in the list. After SIC, he went to UK and studied at Oxford U and is now a partner at one of the leading law firms in Malaysia.
And if you are reading this blog Dr William Chua - I would like to wish you Happy Teacher’s Day and I’m so glad that you are now an important player in human capital development in Malaysia.
aMiR
Hello Amir, Welcome to my blog. I appreciate your visit.
Teachers do have an effect on us. When you find that one excellent teacher in your life, he/she stays in your heart forever. It is their love and method of teaching that makes a difference. I had other excellent teachers in Zainab (2) KB but Cikgu Anuar was cute enough for me to remember. hehe
Dr William Chua. Which law firm may I ask?
Nostalgic days of KB. ahh... I remember the Wayang Kulit shows. Some figures/characters scared the bejeezus out of me but love the art of presentation. Love the food. The arts and crafts.
I just remembered my one-time presentation of flowers to the Sultanah of Kelantan at some function at the KB stadium.
I think if I dig deeper, they will be many more memories popping out. I may have to do another Childhood memory series - The Only Time series. hehe
Happy Teacher's Day to all teachers everywhere.
Hi JT
I wrote:
Soon, I got another email from one of the other students in the list. After SIC, he went to UK and studied at Oxford U and is now a partner at one of the leading law firms in Malaysia.
And you asked:
Dr William Chua. Which law firm may I ask?
**************
Sorry for causing you confusion. In the second sentence that I wrote above, I was refering to the student, not Dr Chua. Dr Chua is now a CEO of Mantissa Institute, I believe.
aMiR
Oh dear ... Amir, I am sorry. It is I who have to apologise. It was my mistake. I re-read your comment. You did refer to another student.
I am sure Dr William Chua is very proud of all his students who have excelled in life.
May I ask which part of KB did you live in?
JT
We used to live in Kale Chepo in the mid to late 1970s. Our Makciks and cousins still live in Pasir Hor and Pasir Pekan which are not very far from KB. My wife is a Mek Kelate and we go back there at least once a year.
aMiR
Hello Amir
I have not been back to KB since we left in 1979. So my recollection of towns outside KB is vague. I do remember some - Pasir Mas, Pasir Puteh, Kuala Krai, Pengkalan Chepa (is that the same as Kale Chepo?), the beach - PCB.
Nice to know you married a Mek Kelate. It gives you a chance to keep returning. I don't know when I will be able to go back there but someday I will, for sure. It holds too many childhood memories for me. Thanks Amir. :)
Oh wow!! i thought these days are hard to compete with others academic wise. number 47th with 90%? whaaaaa!!!
btw, thanks for dropping a comment in my blog. i didnt realise who u were. i just recently clicked on ur name and found out that you are j.t. of jacqui's curve. do you know that you are featured in the star?
Hello Keanorlinsya
Thanks for visiting me. I liked that posting of yours regarding why ladies are still single.
Yes dear, I knew I was featured in The Star. Daphne Ling did a good job on that. I was honoured to be in the company of those other three wonderful women.
The only thing I do not know is how much is that section of the paper read. So I have no inkling who knows about my blog. I am glad you (and Shak-ee who left a comment in my latest posting - Come on baby, layer me!)told me about finding/recognising me through The Star.
Regarding that competition I faced in Standard 5.. yeah, that was a horrid year for me. After that, not so bad. It was like "oh god, no matter how much I tried, I still ended up second last in class". Competition has always been around but I think it has become worst over the years. Everyone wants to get ahead and outdo each other.
Well, thanks for dropping by and do come around again. Love to get your comment/input and have some fun in some of my postings. :)
Im definitely having fun reading ur posts. Not some, all of ur blog actually.
Im definitely having fun reading ur posts. Not some, all of ur blog actually.
Awww.. thank you so much, my dear. I am glad you like it. Hope to see you around more. :)
The song that was played from your first dance - did it go: Ai yai yai I be this crazy suku suku I don't care?
I've been searching for the full lyrics for a while now. I heard it first in school as well, though I can't seem to find it now.
Hello P.N.
Welcome to my blog.
You know I cannot remember the lyrics except for the 'aiyaya' and 'suku suku' parts - as mentioned above - but I remember the tune clearly. The first time I heard it was way back in 1973.
Post a Comment